1. Travel
Kayte Deioma

Downtown on Ice

By November 9, 2013

Downtown on IceThere are now many outdoor ice rinks around Los Angeles, but Downtown on Ice is Southern California's original outdoor skating rink, which appears annually right in the middle of Downtown LA. The public ice rink fills a good part of Pershing Square across from the Millennium Biltmore Hotel. Each 1 hour skate session is followed by 30 minutes of ice resurfacing.

This year's event will kick off November 14 with a grand opening party at 11 am featuring a live performance from the star of Disney's Broadway Musical Spectacular, The Lion King, skating exhibitions by the LA Ice Theater, and more. Special events this year include an early morning free skate with KTLA Morning News on November 15, free midday concerts on many days, Saturday crafts for kids in December, and free evening broomball tournaments in January.

When: Nov 14, 2013 - Jan 20, 2014
Hours: Mon-Thu 11:30 am - 9:30 pm, Fri-Sun 10 am - 11 pm, Holiday Hours vary Dec 20 to Jan 5.
Where: Pershing Square, 532 South Olive St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Cost: Rates are $8 per 1 hour skating session plus $2 skate rental.
Parking: Discounted underground parking may be available under the park with validation. Check bestparking.com for parking rates nearby.
Metro: Pershing Square stop on the Red Line.
Info: pershingsquareicerink.com, (213) 847-4970.

More:

Photo 2006 Kayte Deioma, courtesy of www.KayteDeioma.com

Comments
December 1, 2008 at 5:44 pm
(1) Veronica says:

My family and I have been going to this ice rink for a couple of years now and we love it. I have lived in LA all my life and when we go I feel like we are in a different State. If your kids have never been on an ice rink don’t think that they can’t do it, my kids took to the ice like if they had been skating 4ever.

December 16, 2008 at 6:40 pm
(2) mario says:

my family and i go ice skating every year and it is awsome. the first time my daughter skatd she took to it like she was eating cake. it was so easy for her and se was so happy. now i take her every year.

December 21, 2009 at 11:53 am
(3) Julie says:

I agree. This is a fantastic outing for kids and for the young at heart. A fun, affordable outing in LA!

December 31, 2009 at 3:58 pm
(4) yesenia says:

I went iceskating there for my first time. It was at night and in the rain, it was one of the most magical experiances of my life. Everyone there is amazingly nice and helpful. There was always someone there to give you a hand when ever you fell. It will be a tradition now for me and my family to go every year. I will highly recommend anyone who has never iceskated to go there first. Because there is also food and dessert stands around when you ared done.

December 27, 2010 at 12:36 am
(5) karen says:

is it free for teenagers?
do we need our parents to go wit us

December 27, 2010 at 6:12 am
(6) KayteinLA says:

No Karen, it is not free for teenagers. It is the same rate for everyone.

There is nothing specifying that teenagers have to be accompanied by an adult. As long as you don’t come in too large a group and are respectful of other skaters, it’s probably fine.

December 6, 2013 at 12:32 pm
(7) raegray says:

The rink at Santa Monica may not be as big but is waay less expensive. I have two kids and myself. It costs around $36 to rent skates and skate in Santa Monica with must be unlimited hours because we are usually there three – four hours each time. To go to Los Angeles it would cost me almost $100 to skate for three hours. Very unfortunanate because I would love to take the kids to Downtown LA. Not worth the price

December 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm
(8) golosangeles says:

raegray, you’re right. You have to take into consideration how long you want to skate. For people just trying it out who probably won’t spend more than an hour, the single session rate can be lower, but if you want to skate for hours, finding the best all-day rate is a better deal.

December 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm
(9) Natasha says:

I would like to take my kids ages 6 & 2 to ice skate in downtown LA but I can’t get ahold of anyone to see what the age limit to skate is. Can anyone help?

December 27, 2013 at 2:38 am
(10) golosangeles says:

Hi Natasha,

Your 6 year old should be no problem, but I’m not sure if they’ll have skates small enough for a 2-year-old. If there’s no one answering at the phone number I listed, I’m not sure who could give you that information.