The Bottom Line
- Great history and Art Deco features
- Many different room configurations
- Variety of on-board entertainment
- Includes self-guided tour
- You can request a haunted room (or not)
- No Pool
- Fee for internet
- No lounge chair in room
- Poor lighting in staterooms
- Address: 1126 Queen's Highway, Long Beach, CA 90802
- Phone: (800) 437-2934 toll free
- Neighborhood: Long Beach
- Room Rates: $$ (special packages available online)
- Website: www.queenmary.com
- Property Amenities: 3 restaurants, bakery, deli, shops, bar & lounge, entertainment, spa, business center
- Room Amenities: iPod dock, flat-screen TV in some rooms, room service, fridge, coffee maker, Art Deco built-ins in some rooms
- Parking: Valet or self parking
- Discounts: Check kayak.com or look for online specials on the Queen Mary website.
Guide Review - Queen Mary Hotel
You don't stay on the Queen Mary for the latest in hotel design, but rather for its unique history, and of course, the ghosts. Guests (and ghosts)get full run of the 1936 ocean-liner cum troop ship and its many exhibits. You also have access to the on-board spa, 3 award-winning restaurants, a bakery, a deli, 3 bars, Tibbies Cabaret, and spirit encounters. The City's Passport shuttle provides free transportation to downtown Long Beach, including a stop at the Aquarium of the Pacific.
Like any cruise ship, the corridors are long. The flooring in the halls and staterooms is uneven, so people who have trouble walking will want to be extra cautious.
We didn't directly encounter any spirits of the non-alcoholic variety on our hotel stay, but my sister did report that she woke in the night to find her bedspread all the way on the other side of the room (insert eerie music here).
During the October Halloween Shipwreck event it is hard to get in and out of the parking, so unless you're there for the event, I wouldn't recommend staying on the ship in October. Other big annual Queen Mary events include New Year's Eve, the Scottish Festival, the 4th of July and the Art Deco Festival.
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary accommodation for the purpose of this review. While it has not influenced the review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy.