The Bottom Line
- Historic Art Deco building
- Central West Hollywood location
- Completely remodeled in 2008-9
- Celebrity hot spot
- Great views from upper levels
- A bit dark and austere, even for Deco
- Only 2 rooms with 2 beds, so not good for families
- Address: 8358 Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90069
- Phone: (323) 654-7100
- Neighborhood: West Hollywood
- Room Rates: $$$$
- Website: www.sunsettowerhotel.com
- Property Amenities: pool, terrace restaurant, bar, business center, gym, full service spa and salon, nearby dog park
- Room Amenities: Free Wi-Fi, flat screen TV, iPod dock, mini-bar, in-room spa service, hairdryer, pet amenities, balconies
- Parking: Valet
Guide Review - Sunset Tower Hotel
It was probably true, with residents like Frank Sinatra, Marilyn Monroe, Greta Garbo, Elizabeth Taylor, Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, Mae West, and Errol Flynn, to name just a few. Howard Hughes is said to have kept multiple mistresses there simultaneously.
After the golden era of Hollywood, the building fell into disrepair in the 60s and 70s, although, Diana Ross kept an office here and other notables still called the building home. Ambulances were a common sight during Iggy Pop's residence, as he had a habit of diving, not always successfully, from his apartment window into the pool.
In the 1980s, when developers wanted to demolish the building, actor and long-time resident Werner Klemperer (Hogan's Heroes) was instrumental in getting the building historic landmark status and saving it from the wrecking ball. It was refurbished into a luxury hotel, where guests can now stay in some of those famous abodes.
Bugsy Siegel's former apartment is now the Tower Bar, open nightly for dinner. When Johnny Dep is at home in his chateau across the street, he sometimes comes down the hill for dinner or drinks here at the piano bar.
John Wayne's former pad, where he allegedly kept a pet cow on the balcony for fresh milk, is now the full-service salon and spa, where you can get Botox or acupuncture treatments or the latest hair fad.
Note: I have only toured this hotel and have not stayed there. If you have stayed at this hotel, you are welcome to add your review below.