The natural sulfur hot springs at Glen Ivy were considered sacred by the First Peoples of Southern California, who appreciated their healing powers on seasonal visits to Coldwater Creek long before the Europeans arrived. Gold Rush settlers took over the sulfur baths in 1860, and there has been some sort of commercial enterprise around the healing waters ever since.
Originally known and advertised as Temescal Sulphur Springs, early incarnations included an inn, since the horse-drawn carriage route made it a long trip from the city. The health spa at the hot springs changed hands many times, acquiring its current name from William and Louisa Speers, who created the first resort concept in the 1880s and most likely chose the name from the wild grape ivy that grows along Coldwater Creek.
After tumultuous ups and downs over the years, Glen Ivy Hot Springs was purchased in 1977 by John and Pamela Gray, who separated the hotel from the hot springs spa. The hotel property became the regional spiritual center for the Emissaries of Divine Light
, while the hot springs area was developed into a luxury day spa.
They have grown Glen Ivy Hot Springs over the last 30+ years, adding more pools, treatment buildings, a luxurious Bath House, the underground Grotto and the gift shop.
Bath House and Roman Baths
The Mineral Springs and Pools
Café Sole and Paradise Bar
Sole Terrace and Cabañas
Tips for Visiting